MQHA Scholarship Program
The MQHA has an MQHA Scholarship Program for one annual $500 scholarship award to be used for university, college or other post-secondary education, to come from revenues generated at Annual Year End Awards banquets. Applicants must be 16 years of age by January 1, 2016 and have been an MQHA or MQHYA member for at least two years (current and previous years). An application form may be downloaded from this page and must be submitted postmarked by February 26, 2017 (to be presented at the 2017 Annual General Meeting). Previous applicants/recipients are eligible to re-apply.
Shannon Burwash Memorial Scholarship
For 2016, the awards have been revised to offer three scholarship awards:
- one annual award of $2,000 for students entering more advanced years of study (third year and beyond) in any field of study with emphasis on horses, agriculture, agribusiness, animal health technology, or equine veterinary medicine at an accredited Canadian post-secondary institution.
- two annual awards of $1,000 for for students entering first or second year of study at a Canadian post-secondary in any field of study with emphasis on horses, agriculture, agri-business, animal health technology or equine veterinary medicine.
To apply, all students must visit The Calgary Foundation website:
- click on student awards
- click on this button to reach the logon webpage
- once there, click create new account
- then click apply (to get the application form for each type of scholarship
At the top of each Calgary Foundation webpage, there is a live link to “Contact us” for any students that need further information.
Help us continue to provide these awards into the future with a donation to the Shannon Burwash Memorial Award for Equine and Agricultural Studies
April 27, 2016 – (Calgary, AB) — In May of 2014, Dr. Wayne Burwash launched the Shannon Burwash Memorial Award for Equine and Agricultural Studies at The Calgary Foundation, to honour the legacy of Shannon’s love for the horse and her contribution to the horse industry.
Each year the number of scholarship applications received far exceeds funds available for distribution, and the cost of higher education continues to rise. One of the most impactful ways to address this challenge is funding scholarship awards. Gifts to a scholarship are not spent; they generate interest income which is used to award scholarships. Your support is an investment in the future of our industry as deserving students develop into the leaders of tomorrow.
The overall goal is to raise $120,000 so the fund can keep generating annual awards into the future. Dr. Burwash’s personal commitment to this goal is that he will match all other donors’ contributions to a maximum of $60,000. This means your gift will be doubled and will keep working to help our youth achieve their dreams of higher education.
Dr. Burwash is most appreciative of all the generous donors to date.The fund has now reached $98,580 and we ask for your help to reach the target goal of $120,000.
- Online: Visit www.thecalgaryfoundation.org, choose “Donate Online” at top,
right hand side of home page, then choose “Select from All Funds”, and then search for and select “Shannon Burwash” Fund in the drop down menu, and add your VISA or MasterCard purchase information.
- By Phone: To pay by credit card over the phone, call 403-802-7700 during office hours 8:00 am – 4:00 pm. Please do NOT leave your credit card number on voicemail.
- In Person: The Calgary Foundation, Suite 700, 999 – 8 Street SW, Calgary during office hours.
- By Mail: Cheque payable to The Calgary Foundation, indicating “Shannon Burwash Memorial Award” in the memo section. Mail to:
The Calgary Foundation, 700 – 999 – 8 Street SW Calgary, AB. T2R 1J5
- Tax Receipts for Donations: A Canadian tax receipt will be issued for donations over $25
For more information, contact Ms. Darlene Chrapko, Student Awards Officer, at The Calgary Foundation at
Past Scholarship Recipients
Two 2012 MQHA Scholarships for the amount of $500 each were awarded to members Breanne Plett, Steinbach, MB and Clint Whittingham, Brandon, MB.
The 2013 MQHA Scholarship for the amount of $500 was awarded to member Taylor Hein, E Selkirk, MB
The 2014 MQHA Scholarship for the amount of $500 was awarded to member Ruth Enns, Schanzenfeld, MB.